Thursday, December 9, 2010

Missing the Boat

There is an article in USA Today about smoking and it's harmful effects. The article goes into great detail about how bad smoking is, how much is costs healthcare and how the tobacco companies have made smoking more appealing. I don't disagree with any of it. But...again, nothing about why people really smoke.

Smoking is AWFUL!!! I knew it was bad for me. I've seen all the nasty pictures. As a healthcare worker, I have worked with people DYING from smoking, struggling to get their next breath. But I did it anyway.

I was discussing the new ad campaign with a fellow former smoker. He thought it was a good idea. He said seeing a nasty picture got him to quit...for six months. The current anti-smoking campaigns, I believe, accomplishes two things. First, keeps some kids from ever starting. Secondly, gets people to quit smoking. BUT...Quitting is only the first step. STAYING quit is where the shit hits the fan. Where is the information to help accomplish that???

Instead, the information I had was that I needed to put on a patch and if I had a nicotine craving, I needed to take a deep breath. Give it five minutes, it will pass. It really upsets me the lack of comprehension and more importantly acceptance of what we are dealing with. This is not about a moral short-falling or lack of information. I am not a bad or stupid person because I smoked. I was desperate to calm my anxiety and smoking was my solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment