Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Good Things Happen to Good People

There are have been several "turning points" in my life. Interactions with people that have made a profound influence on my life.

I was working at a physical therapy job that for many reasons was not a good fit. I was still married to my first husband and life was not going real well (early 2005). Although, if you had asked me at the time, I'm not sure I could have told you that. I was truly just going through the motions, trying to get through the day. It was a point in my life when I couldn't wait until Friday but then when Friday came, I couldn't wait until Monday.

I had quit this job and it was my last day, my last patient of the day. Keith and I were the only ones left in the clinic. Keith was not one of "my patients", I was seeing him for another therapist. We knew each other but not at all well. We hadn't talked about anything of significance during the session. As he was leaving, halfway out the door. He paused and said to me "Good Things Happen to Good People" and walked out the door.

I still cry when I think about this story. Why he said that, I may never know. The sad part is...I didn't know I was "good people". I didn't think I deserved "good things". But, Keith got me thinking...maybe I was "good people" and I deserved "good things". He planted a seed in me that would take awhile to grow, but grow it did. A few months later, I started making some dramatic changes in my life and withing the year, I was divorced.

I may never get to thank Keith directly, but I hope Karma shines upon him.

No comments:

Post a Comment