Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's a "Cindy" Problem

So the headline in the paper today is... "761 arrests, big seizure didn't curb drug trade... After 40 years and $1 trillion, the US and Mexico continue to fight a losing battle". I don't know much about economics but I do understand basic supply and demand. As long as there is a demand...people will continue fill the supply. The problem is not with drugs, it's the people who take them. Help them and demand will decrease.

My smoking problem wasn't a smoking problem it was a Cindy problem. Smoking was just my solution. I needed to find another solution. Now that I realized that my fight was not with the cigarette but with myself, a new fear arose. Addiction transference. Would I just become addicted to something else? Would I just replace smoking with another vice: food, alcohol, shopping??? It reiterated my desire that I had to get to the root of the problem and not just put a band aid on it.

So, the obvious solution was I had to learn how to relax. The next several months I supplemented my current cessation regime (mostly just the patch) with relaxation techniques. This included deep breathing, exercise, decreasing the sensory stimulation in my environment ( noise, light etc), less caffeine, hot baths, decreasing work load etc. I had a renewed sense of focus.

It wasn't enough. I kept starting again. I don't like to let my mind wander back those times that led to starting again. It is unpleasant and I keep thinking I should be embarrassed to reveal this but I'm not. It's just the truth. My mind would start spinning, heart racing. I had all this energy. But it was scattered, unfocused. I kept thinking deep breathes, exercise harder! Give it five minutes and it will pass. I let myself scream, throw things, jump up and down (the stories my dogs could tell). I even let myself drink too much, it would help but the spinning wouldn't stop.

Ultimately, autopilot would kick in and I would drive to Maverick to buy a pack of smokes. RELIEF!!! The sweet feel of the smoke burning my throat, filling my lungs, my mind and body reclaiming peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment